Completion — Summer 2015

As many of you will have experienced directly, we had a very hard Winter and Spring. Many are referring to June-uary, our  month of very cool, later Spring temperatures. I’ve opened the cottage for the season and have been working on cottage specific tasks at this point. Varathaning new kitchen cupboards, and a bow window area, rearranging furniture, building a shelf, and exterior steps, and helping a friend with an outdoor shower are the tasks at hand. Once I’ve finished the cottage specific tasks, I’ll turn my attention back to the greenhouse.

DSC_0101 DSC_0110

DSC_0115  In anticipation of resuming the greenhouse work, I picked up a 12′ step ladder in the late Fall to help me to be comfortable working on the eves of the greenhouse. I also purchased four vents with sliding closures to control air flow.

All A Board

ducks  ldybug

So, it’s been a little longer getting back to the blog than I thought it would be! Good progress is being made; and helpful friends and family have been a great assistance in the roof phase of this project! My Dad and nephew, Tom, returned to complete the second roof slope with me.

tomcut  dadtom


I hired a fellow to add the 1×8″ trim boards along the roof line, a drip edge to keep water from wicking into the wood of the roof, and tar paper, and shingles over the drip edge. It’s just too high in the air for my comfort.  My roof is 7′ x 9.5’x 2 slopes and took 4 bundles of shingles, 6 -10′ lengths of drip edge cut to length, 2 -10′ and 4 – 8′ lengths of 1 x 8′ knotty pine for the trim boards. We used 1″ recycled roofing nails, and tar paper contributed by my neighbour, Hugh.


grhse

I’m working on boarding in using 1 x 6″ tongue and groove Spruce.  Another few solid days and the greenhouse will be roof tight for the winter. I’ll likely fill in the doorway with plastic film and install the door in the Spring. I’ve carefully saved all the board end that I’ve cut. I’m planning to use these  to make some wood carvings this Winter and next Spring. These decorative carvings will be installed on the greenhouse. I’m hoping to have next to no wood wastage.

Hoping for some fine days in the next two weeks to finish up for this season.

Deck Finished and Adjusting the Level (Again)

Image These beauties sustain themselves at the end of my driveway. I also have a few on the driveway margins.

I’m finishing up the deck boards today, and hoping for a few days of sun to dry out the works. The boards have been sitting outdoors and off the ground, but are quite damp. I’ll then sand off any old, loose paint; and caulk between the boards with an exterior sealant.

Then, on to the walls! This will be a tricky phase for me as I’ll build them flat, raise them, and screw them into place. Wish me luck!